Dating Abuse Facts
- 1 out of every 3 teens will be abused by a boyfriend/girlfriend.
- Dating abuse includes physical, emotional, verbal, and sexual abuse.
- Dating abuse occurs across all socioeconomic, racial, religious, and ethnic groups.
- Even if you come from a healthy family where there is no abuse, you can still become a victim.
- Jewish people are just as likely to become involved in an abusive relationship as non-Jewish people.
- Girls ages 16-24 are the age group at the HIGHEST risk for relationship abuse, a rate that is almost triple the national average.
- Both males and females are the perpetrators of violent acts in a relationship. Girls, however, are more likely to be injured or killed by their partner.
- A vast majority of abusive incidents occur in private settings outside the view of others.
- When violence DOES occur in public, there is only a 50% chance that someone will intervene, call the police, or attempt to help the victim.
- 60% of teens who are abused by their boyfriend/girlfriend remain in the relationship after the abuse begins.
- Only 1 out of 25 teen victims of dating abuse seeks help from a counselor, teacher, parent, rabbi, or law enforcement.