Evaluate your Relationship
Think of a friendship or relationship you have with someone, and answer the following questions:
- Can you name at least 5 characteristics of this person that you like and admire?
- Is this person glad you have other friends, and is it fine with him/her if you want time alone with them?
- Does this person respect your opinion about things, even if it is different from his/hers?
- Does this person talk AND listen?
- Can you be yourself around this person?
- Do you have to watch what you say/do/dress like around this person because he/she might get mad at you or make fun of you?
- Does this person criticize your friends? Interests? Activities?
- Do you respect the way that this person treats other people, including “the school nerd”, waitress,
his/her siblings, teachers, parents, etc.?
- Does this person lose his/her temper easily?
- Does this person often “joke” in a hurtful way?
- Does this person congratulate your accomplishments and encourage you?